Monday, October 29, 2007

Practice - Oct 29

Practice started today at 10 instead of 10:30. I assume that is because the team is traveling to Montreal today.

Haydar, Sterling, Thorburn, and the goalies were out at 9:30 doing a one timer drill where the forwards would take one timer shots on goal. They would pass to each other and then one time the puck at the goalie.

Don Waddell was not one the ice. In his (coach's) place was the video coach.

According to someone I talked to Kari may skate this week and is doing good in his recovery. There was no tear in his groin muscle but rather a stretching of the groin which caused damage.

Little was not on the ice today. I was told he had a hamstring issue and will be on the trip. He is expected to skate tomorrow in Montreal.

Practice started with one on one drill battling for puck possession in front of the net. Everyone got a turn at this drill.

Next was a drill focusing on two on one breakaway opportunities.

That was followed by a three on two breakaway drill.

Again, like last practice no specific drills on the power play/penalty kill.

Here were some of the pairings today

Havelid and Enstrom. Zhitnik and Popovic. McCarthy and X. Klee and Havelid. Klee and X.

Holik / Slava / Larsen
White / Perrin / Hossa
Kovy / Dupuis / Haydar ( I assume this is because Little did not practice)
Slater / Thorburn / Boulton / Sterling

Slava did not look enthused to be on the 3rd line with Bobby and Larsen


Observations

1. Hoss line looked good.
2. As I said above, Slava did not look happy about his pairing.
3. Dupuis changes sticks almost constantly. I noticed him doing that at the game in Nashville (we were sitting right behind the bench) and he also does it at practice. He also, during the game, sent his gloves to the back (I assume to be dried out).
4. Sterling looks like he is now trying to find a spot in the roster which is a change from the beginning of the season. It appears his confidence is shaken.

That's it for the first installement of my new blog. Please feel free to leave me comments or ask questions.

Thanks

5 comments:

Daculafan said...

Thanks for the observations. I think Sterling is getting a reality check that a spot is only kept by good performance.

13 said...

Love your blog! Really good insight on the team. Wish I could have made it to practice today...hopefully next time. -MJ

Tiffany said...

Hi Tom! Welcome to the Thrash blogosphere! I've linked you from our blog, be sure to let the guys at Thrashers Times know all about you so you can get a link from them too! I'm so psyched someone's blogging about practice now!

burkov said...

Hi, Tom! It's Sergey from Russia. Wow! MJ is here too. I'm glad to see my friends always. It's a wonderful website. Thank you, Tom! I will be reading it always. I need an information about the Thrashers practices. I'm in Russia. It's a lot distance from Duluth. I wonder always what Thrashers players do at practice.
Sergey Burkov

Natalie C. Zurita said...

Thanks so much for all the good info. I live in Marietta, so I don't get a chance to go to practices often. But when I have, I enjoyed it so much. I look forward to your blogs!
-Natalie/Kovy1971